Every little step I take... Click HERE

(Listen to this song if you want an ear worm. I added this thanks to Shylah)

And don't forget to click the 'Follow me' button! I'd like to go straight to your morning email if you wouldn't mind some more errata...



Saturday, February 19, 2011

And now for something completely different... three banned cartoons from 50+ years ago...

Here is an old cartoon with the Flintstones, an ad for Winston cigarettes. Have a look and then read my commentary if you like. Feel free to ponder and muse and reflect in our comment section.

Flintstones ad from circa 1965


Here's what I think. I know you wanna know.


Fred and Barney are loafing while Betty and Wilma are doing house and yard work. Then Fred and Barney decide to smoke some delicious Winstons and Betty and Wilma are not amused. This smacks of an undercurrent of feminist thought, as though there was an influence already on Madison avenue, here in the 3rd decade of advertising since the advent of television.



Now let's venture to the political, with a cartoon that is from the '50's and is propaganda... or is it?


US Government predicts the future of American interests and ventures


Listen past the guy's commentary at the beginning although his introduction to the clip is appropos.


So the snake oil salesman's pitch is kind of eerily depicted with the creepy predictions of business, property owning, farmers etc. If man can see this kind of thing coming, why are we collectively so powerless to subvert it?






And one last ponderance, here is a video done by RKO in the early 40's when Hitler first arrived on the scene. Take a look at what early movie theater propaganda was depicted as.


Its called 'Education for Death' and is meant to explain Hitler and the Nazi to children in a cartoon format.


Lots of hmmm in this one. That democracy is depicted as the wicked witch, (the goddess) and demonized to create an obedient Nazi population of breeders of soldiers for the Hitler army... eerie? I think so. Being German this holds a special kind of creepiness, knowing it's in my genes to be this distorted.


'Education for Death' clip here.


Hope I've provided you with some tasty food for thought. I just discovered these interesting cartoons and wanted to share them with my friends and followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment