Every little step I take... Click HERE

(Listen to this song if you want an ear worm. I added this thanks to Shylah)

And don't forget to click the 'Follow me' button! I'd like to go straight to your morning email if you wouldn't mind some more errata...



Thursday, November 4, 2010

Crows - A Crow Photo Totem Study

In my illustrious educational journey, I travelled for four years amidst a group of indigenous classmates who were instrumental in cementing some preconcieved notions I'd already developed through my pagan shamanic path. One of these was the archetype of totems and what they represent as well as how I can use them to gain courage, understanding and self analysis.


This is actually the sliver of the old moon hanging low in the sky. The light on the right is the 7am helijet taking off and passing over Saxe Pt, which is the shadow in the foreground. Not daybreak yet, but soon.


Crow medicine in many indigenous cultures represents an aspect of the trickster, the comic, the koshare that is allowed to mimic the king and not suffer the indignity of death. They are vigilant, they are family pods that have history and a very stringent established pecking order, and they have a sense of humour.



Love it when their wings are captured in the moment of takeoff or landing.


The crows here at our Eagle's Aerie are a clan that are around every morning at 9 when my downstairs neighbour, Maggie, chucks a cup or two of cat food out into the fir tree just off our balconies. As a photographer, I love the interplay of their feathers and I try to be handy with my camera when the weather and lighting is right, to play with catching my crows in mid flight. I want to catch them the moment they lift off, but they are so fast and the delay on my digital SLR is so slow that quite often, all I catch is where they just were.



I would fly if I could...


But every now and then, I manage to luck out and catch a stunning shot that makes my day. The new pic that is the background for the blog is just such a picture. The crow had snatched the morsel of breakfast potato patty off the branch and was making haste to fly where she could chow down and I just happened to catch her in full wingspan.



Missed me!


Here then, are today's pictures. The first one is of the sliver of moon that was out this morning when Ron awoke me with a cup of coffee and a kiss. The rest are pretty self explanatory. I'm off to get ready for work now so I can't stay and play and make it all pretty, you'll just have to be happy with some entertaining pictures of my fine feathered friends.


The starling baby pinfeathers have thickened and are looking very ornamental these days. Preening keeps them neat.

Heckle and Jeckyl

Cat food cuisine is the best!

The ease in which they can contort to get to the feather fleas is amazing. So limber and quick!

Here's the whole fam damily, Heckle, Jeckyl, Murgatroyd and Aloisious

Gimme a kiss.

Amazing tail fan

The sky at 9 this morning.

2 comments:

  1. I love these blogs. It makes me want to do some kind of unique blog myself. Love those crows. But they are noisy buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The seagulls are raucous, the crows are just opinionated. We have one that mimics the dog down the street. His yappy little bark and her crow rendition of it sounds so alike!

    ReplyDelete